Hand Tools

Subject:
obsession with accommodation..

David Weaver
I like the old blades, too. I like pretty much anything except a blade that's overhard and chippy (easy enough to fix if the overhardness is causing the chipping).

I have this obsession with figuring out how to accommodate a tool (because Norris, Stanley, everyone else could've easily made hard irons if that was just a better thing - the alloy that they were using was probably just as clean as most commodity O1 made now, and the fineness of the original cast blades in terms of how they wear is finer).

when I first started, I didn't understand this - I thought if you put an iron in a guide and use a set of stones, whatever you get with that method is proof of one being better than another. It's not, however. It's just proof of differences attached to a given method.

Once I started learning to accommodate each type, I found that most of what I thought was kind of mediocre was spectacular when used properly. Now, I like the "mediocre" irons better than the spectacular and consider them to be a time savings for practical working (vs. contests of taking a million thin shavings).

Would still like to make another 20 infills at some point in the future, but it's like jones #4 behind several others. Chisels, guitars and wooden planes in the immediate future.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081