Hand Tools

Subject:
I have to admit...

John in NM
After trying pins first and coping out the waste yesterday, I do prefer both methods. Now I just need to make one of Frank Klausz's "around the corner" saw blades :D

I still hate using pine for drawers. This was a utility drawer I would otherwise have done differently, and it was made of scraps of pine I had around. Pine is horribly variable stuff these days, the best I have ever used came out of the attic of my house up in the mountains. It is quite resinous stuff, basically local #2 boards cut in the 1960's, but all older growth and works far better than what you get at the local store these days. I could see using it if you have old growth material, but I still much prefer a hardwood.

For a utility drawer, dovetailing was not quite as quick as if I'd set up the dado set on my saw and cut box joints as I normally do for such applications. However, it was not so much slower that I won't do it again for a similar project. Its very good practice and kind of refreshing to do in a context where one isn't overly concerned about tight results.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081