Hand Tools

Subject:
Scratches

Jack Dover
That looks okay to me. I don't have lots of experience with grinding wheels, the one that is scratchy came with a grinder. It's also badly out of balance, I just assume it's a low quality wheel. Removed it because it feels like it's going to shatter any moment and because it's bad for bearings.

EDIT:

Bolting a grinder down will keep in place, however walking is a symptom, not a problem. I used to have access to a Baldor grinder (had no idea what is Baldor at that time), it was screwed to a flimsy bench top. A water in a can next to it was absolutely smooth and motionless. My current grinder is a new Delta, it's bolted down and even after many hours of dressing and centering a wheel water in a can on that table shows this nice waves interference picture, could be a textbook illustration. I don't think it will be more than a couple years before bearings will die. Maybe it doesn't affect grinding, but it's so much nicer to stand next to a smooth and quiet grinder that doesn't sound like a helicopter taking off.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081