Hand Tools

Subject:
looks...that was my thought..

David Weaver
but I've had soft arkansas/washita looking stones that felt like washitas and had some lines in them.

I am going to sound super stingy here, but I don't want to pay $30+shipping + tax just to check one of these out and declare whether or not it's pike mine washita stuff (dan calls it perryn rock or perrin or something like that) or if it's coarser softs just graded by weight.

I have noticed over the last ten years that I could buy a labeled no 1 washita 10 years ago for about $45 shipped on ebay. Nothing like that now (but I go for visual aspects of stones and not labels). Good clean full sized full thickness stones in England in a nice box are about $60 equivalent, but the shipping to here is prohibitive.

If there was a single stone that I would say anyone can learn to freehand on, it's the washita (in combination with a grinder). One angle slightly steeper than the grinder, tease the wire edge off after creating a secondary bevel and strop. In skilled hands, especially in combination with a buffer used on the bevel side, it's as fine as anything anyone would need. Dreamy to use compared to any synthetic that I've ever tried (the only really dreamy synthetic that I ever tried was a frictionite 825 - not endorsing going to find one, they're not that great for their price - they just have a really satisfying feel).

At any rate, I've ordered a gaggle of steel, a forge, a belt sander and a heavy wheel grinder and several hundred dollars of used files in the last couple of weeks, so I'm cooling it on the curiosity purchases. I haven't seen coloration like that on true washita, but I have seen faint brown lines - it could be that pike never needed to allow any such thing in no 1 and other labeled stones, and that the limited run is from the cuttings/scraps remaining in new hampshire.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081