Hand Tools

Subject:
the structure here is more visible

David Weaver
...than it would be in a honed chisel, etc, as the breaks are clean breaks and no polishing or grinding is done to them. what I gather from reading other technical documents is that the breaks can make things visually difficult to confirm and that it would be preferable to level and polish the surface of a test piece and then etch it.

I'm not going that far.

(I did send steve three subpar chisels, though - two that I allowed to get hot and sit in the forge too long because I was flapping my gums making a video, and a piece of 1095 that will benefit from quench oil that I'll get over the weekend or next week depending on UPS shipping time - parks 50 fast transition quench oil for 1095).

With my skill level, I may find what I found with XHP, and that is, do whatever you're going to do to shape a piece (in simple steels, forging, which does some of the heat cycling itself but leaves desirable deformations before heating to austenite), heat it quickly, a step past critical and then quench quickly.

We'll see if pictures prove that. If I'm right about that, it will more or less show that I need to control grain size or structure by hammering and then minimize high temp time to prevent grain growth.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081