Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: The wonders of experimentation...

David Weaver
It appears that document is the origination of the now popular (and controversial) triple quench method.

(for people other than wiley) for steels with complex carbides, triple quench done carefully (first quench doesn't really have a temperature limit, but the last two quenches are done above critical and below the temp where grain growth occurs, and more carbon/other elements are incorporated than a single quench). I guess it does require the skill to get temp right by eye.

More complicated temperature schedules allow control of the grain size better than any of this, but one has to have an oven (and better, an oven with a vacuum environment) to get temperatures correct and normalize prior to quench.

Bottom line, the triple quench lands somewhere between no temperature control and a single quench and the most well done normalizing and then quenching.

The complication for a garage amateur is that some things that benefit 52100 don't benefit 1095 and so on.

I did find out that I can harden 1095 perfectly fine with soy oil, but a proper fast transition oil for quenching (like parks 50) will get the starting point a point or two higher without causing cracking like brine can.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081