Hand Tools

Subject:
suburbs vs...

David Weaver
we cut and split wood for heat as a kid. Promac 610 (probably one of the worst saws made for power to weight, but it ran - slow cutting, heavy, doesn't resemble any other saw, but it ran), and now I live in the suburbs.

I intended to live somewhere with more trees (I have two and have to hope for something to fall in the community park to get run time and play with a mid level husky saw).

I run my saw sometimes 4 times a year, and sometimes every 3 years. It has a compression release, but will start in as many pulls as it takes to get fuel to it after it's sat for a while (usually about 5 or 6). Dad's saws were always the same way. When we went to heating oil, a few pulls and the promac was running.

But there are probably a lot of cheaper saws that don't keep fuel trim on the carb and become a real pain to get started because they're too lean or fat or have been run with overdone fuel mix (and a clogged carb screen).

I can see the appeal of the battery saws for someone doing some limbing or filling a SxS with some camp wood or a week or two of firewood.

But the thrill and feel of running a good running gas saw is missing (especially if the opportunity to on the handles of someone's worked saw is around). The battery saws are about halfway there vs. a good mid sized gas saw in terms of chain speed, though - maybe in another 15 years....

There are a lot of people in my neighborhood who couldn't get a saw started if it wasn't handed to them primed and previously started, though. I get it with the battery saws, but the need for a big battery makes them kind of expensive...

...oh...one other thing they do have on something like mid and upper trim saws - you can run them at 8 am on saturday next to someone's property line and nobody will complain.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081