Hand Tools

Subject:
correctly starting a gas saw

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I wish we were having this conversation where it belongs but here we are, so.....

I don't need my boot toe to fit through the saw's handle so I can start it without using the drop start method,

The two means you name may be common in the suburbs but not in the woods. The second is dangerous and should not even be mentioned and the first is inconvenient, which may be why the first is used by the untrained.

In a timber cutters safety class a means of starting a saw is encouraged (highly encouraged if you intend to pass) that is none of the above. "3 point" is in its name but I do not recall the name. If right handed the handle goes under your right thigh, engine against left thigh and left hand on handle. The saw is in control in this position and easily started. No doubt it is illustrated somewhere on the Internet. This technique is what you see in practice because it is safe and convenient. Watched a timber cutter this week on a job and as usual that is how he was starting the saw.

In training (and on a well managed job) you are required to stop the saw if you intend to take more than a few steps (don't recall the number, 3?) Convenience means the saw needs to restart on the first pull. If a gas saw does not start on the first pull, once warm, it needs fixing.

Gas saws are noisy and one stinks of burnt oil after using. If I kept a saw ready for whatever in the truck an electric saw could be compelling. The rest of your advantages are not compelling, or relevant, to anyone experienced with a gas saw. For example, after running through a tank of gas on a professional weight saw I am delighted to take a break to fill the tank.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081