Hand Tools

Subject:
He did a good job
Response To:
Re: The youtuber ()

David Weaver
I watched the video again (or parts of it). He did a good job trying to categorize the chisels. I'd still pick the Iles chisels out of that group.

I've used a set of the old pfeil chisels (a friend has them when they were "best value" in an old FWW magazone). He didn't like the shape of them, but they sharpen very easily (blacken the stones quickly) and don't feel very alloyed compared to most others.

Guh....$90 for "matsumura" chisels that look like they're just squashed in a die (not forged by someone turning the chisel in a power hammer). I bought some of those early on and they were crumbly, but I've had crumbly chisels that have been impossibly hard that had a lot of professional use in japan and when I got them and tempered them to "absurdly hard but not crumbly", they became much better chisels.

I'd walk down the road to HF and get one of those blue handled chisels if they still had them. You can make even that type (usually) usable with the unicorn, but higher hardness with the unicorn still makes for a sweeter performing chisel given the same sharpening routine. When I did the article test, I could tell the sweetness on my japanese sample vs. the Mk2, and then a bigger gap yet between that one and the sorby (which held up "decent" after the buffer, but still had more cut resistance).

But, jeez -$90 for the matsumura is really offensive.

...he has the same thoughts as I do about the base narex chisels. They have a glass ceiling. The buffer saves them, but the process makes it so that the buffer is needed to save them.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081