Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: You are on the wrong Forum

William Duffield
That's why I put links to the pertinent threads on the Messages forum. If you had followed them, you would have also found the answers to your advantages questions.

I'll summarize some of the more important advantages here:

• No need to mix gas and oil,
• Minimal chance of spilling gas or oil in your shop, truck or forest (of course, you can still manage to spill bar and chain oil),
• swapping batteries is a lot quicker than refilling gas tank, and you can keep them warm in your coat pocket,
• Much quieter, no need for hearing protection,
• No air pollution,
• Can't flood the engine,
• No need to drop start, which is dangerous,
• No wasted effort or arcane choke procedures required to start saw, especially after you've flooded it,
• Much higher torque, but this can be a disadvantage if your chaps are of substandard quality,
• No need to carry a scrench, or search for it in the underbrush. Swapping a chain in the shop or woods, is toolless. This is not a generic advantage, but is an advantage of my Makita battery saw over my Stihl gas saw.

Oh, and one other advantage that just occurred to me. I don't need my boot toe to fit through the saw's handle so I can start it without using the drop start method, which means I'm much less likely to leave the steel toed boots at home and wear sneakers for a quick trim job.

My next door neighbor couldn't start his saw; Someone had put the bar and chain oil in the gas tank. If you are dealing with only one container of petroleum products and one orifice on the saw, this can't happen.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081