Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Garry Chinn- Garrett Wade founder interview.

Ray Newman
Mark: thanks for posting the link. Just finished listening to it. Brought back memories of the Whole Earth and the Garret Wade stores in Berkley CA. Living in Castro Valley at the time, they were a short drive away. Believe when the Garret Wade store closed, another short lived wood and tool supplier took over the building – Rose Wood?? Woodsmith also had a store in Berkeley. Offered some classes and a periodic tool swap/sale in the parking lot. Discovered lie-Nielsen there. It did not last too long either. Also recall Woodline -- the Japan Woodworker in Alameda. There I learned about water stones and Japanese chisels. There was another Japanese tool dealer in Berkeley, but never got to it. Cannot recall the name and wonder if it still open.

About ’81-82 to replace the SEARS radial arm that I sold, I bought a Delta 34-444 contractor saw from Western Hardware and Tool,49 Bryant St, San Francisco. Hole in the wall, but was packed with hand and power tools. Later moved to So San Francisco, but like the large Delta showroom on Milton and San Pablo --Oakland and the Porter- Cable/Delta shop in San Leandro, it succumbed to flood of Asian imports.

Some heady days for woodworkers. San Francisco Bay Area had 2 large wood/tool show a year and Sacramento had a very large show. Could spend a day at each show. Always seemed to run into wood workers I knew from the local tool stores and lumber dealers.

About this same time, wasn’t there a catalog tool catalog named Lechtung?? The name rings a bell.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081