Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Harsh criticism
Response To:
Harsh criticism ()

TomD
I don't think ECE planes are super quality, but it is a relative thing. They were so much better in the 80s at the time of the Great Woodworking Reset, that it was not even a question. Where you are on basically everything is so far from a market it is like Yoko Ono singing (that I assume actually is something of worth/high culture, just not likely to win America's Got Talent).

One of the planes I use most heavily has an ECE scrub blade in it. It is probably the plane that gets called on to do the most real world work. The only thing I don't like about it is it hurts my hand in the plane body I made for it. Nothing else ever comes up as a problem. It is the sort of plane that does not lend itself to soul searching about how one could invent a more infra dig set of criteria for it.

Actually my other ECEs all have either a Hock, or Japanese replacement blades, so I should be careful what I say, as they do not use the stock irons. That was just a reflex, back in the 80s that Japanese blades had to be "better", which they are, but not necessarily for actual working craftsmen. Could not say. The only ECE planes I have are the super smoother, jack, and a block.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081