Hand Tools

Subject:
Warren - turkey vs. turkish
Response To:
Turkey Stones ()

David Weaver
Warren - I know you stay a lot of the time in the 1700s. Do you know when the term turkey stone went from being a turkish oilstone (the type that I posted in the stone omnibus, admittedly, mine is lighter brown and not as choice as the blackest of the type), to other novaculite stones?

I have bought washitas in the past that don't seem quite like washitas and often they're a little taller. I've always wondered exactly what they were, but that's separate from this question. I think they may just be oddball washitas, because they're nothing like the cretan or turkish stones even though they may have some similar aspects.

Lastly, I've read more than once that the discovery of huge amounts of novaculite in the US, and then viable mining of said material wasn't until the 1800s (and I believe I've had several washita stones that were taller and longer with hand cut backs), leading to the supposition that notation of a turkey stone in inventory would not be our washita type stones (which todd hughes often sold on ebay as "turkey stones").

The other types of novaculite stones that I've seen are:
* magog (canada -i can't imagine that magog stones were mined that early)
* idwalls, like the ones shown in this thread
* charnley forest (from light green to dark green with red splotches)

I don't know the history of the magogs except that they were true novaculite from a lake area in canada, in various colors and fineness. I have seen historical references attaching the label "turkey stone" to them, but that flows back to the prior comment about turkey stone naming being given to any novaculite stone that would cut reasonably well and finely at the same time.

I have never bought a labeled magog stone - too expensive, but it wouldn't be out of the question that I've used one at some point. I wouldn't have noticed.

Idwall and charnley stones are very fine and slower, charnley being a little soft at least in some cases and can be gouged.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081