Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: guessing at efficiency..
Response To:
guessing at efficiency.. ()

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
I have never thought to use a gouge for morticing. Interesting!

By coincidence - before reading any post here - I honed/buffed a couple of Japanese out-cannel gouges and then tried them out. Wow! They have never cut as well before.

Last evening I finished up preparing a Fujikawa mortice chisel. It needed a lot of work flattening the back - lots of work on diamond plates and diamond paste. Eventually I could get to waterstones. I prefer to hone and use this chisel (as I do all my Japanese chisels) in the traditional manner, this being a straight bevel. I did drop the primary bevel from 35- to 30 degrees. A lot of work went into getting this blade as perfect as possible. It was honed to 13000 and then I attempted to pare Tassie Oak end grain. It did this reasonably but not as well as a bench chisel with the same 30 degree bevel. I went over to the buffer and firstly did a 2-second buff at the angle of the bevel, then raised the chisel about 10 degrees and buffed about 2 seconds more. Back at the Tassie Oak, the chisel now peeled off end grain shavings.

So, one question I am answering is that it is possible to get sharper edges using a power buffer (no surprise there), and that this process is very quick. I tried for years to do this on a Tormek hard leather wheel, without success. This soft wheel produces a better result and so much faster.

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081