Hand Tools

Subject:
Agree with John

Wiley Horne
Peter Follansbee is a master craftsman, deserving of all respect, so his procedures certainly work for him.

i do the central V by riding the bevel—the bevel is driving the face, rather than the face driving the bevel. You keep the shearing action of the chisel face, rather than giving it up. This is so fundamental.

However. In my hands, the central V makes it more difficult to start and keep the mortise plumb and dead straight, than if I do the Roubo method described by Warren, and remove the waste in, say, 3 lifts or courses.

You can ride the bevel in either technique, so that is not what differentiates the methods. But I find that going full depth in the middle before getting the mortise framed in, as you do with the Roubo method, it is very very easy for 1 or 2 cuts in that big V to get slightly out of line. Then when you true it up, you’ve slightly wallowed out the mortise. Whereas, I find it just easier to keep control and avoid errant strikes with the Roubo method.

Intuitively, I’m drawn to the V, because it seems like it should be faster. But the Roubo approach—in my hands!—makes for a tighter mortise.

Wiley

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081