Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: passive aggressive....
Response To:
passive aggressive.... ()

Sgian Dubh
David, I forgot to mention that more often than not because I tend to work mostly on a lighter furniture scale, e.g., digging out a relatively small mortice for, let's say, a cabinet rail that's something like 60 mm wide X maybe 18 - 20 thick (with a tenon maybe 8 -9 mm thick X ~40 mm long, plus a square haunch going into a similarly fairly dainty female part, e.g., a leg maybe 40 - 60 mm square, I usually don't even use a mortice chisel morticing. Mortice chisels for small stuff tend to be a bit over-the-top I find, and cumbersome, with a tendency to bruise mortice ends too much, and I tend to choose in preference a plain old firmer chisel, and even a bevel edged chisel to do the job.

Bigger stuff, architectural door mortices, for example were generally attacked with mortice chisels. There was more mortice length and width (~12 mm typically) to play with, plus mortices went deeper, frequently right through material that is around 100- 115 mm wide. Incidentally, I can't recall how many decades ago it was I last hand chopped architectural door mortices, maybe as long ago as the mid 1970s - morticing machines are quicker, ha, ha. Slainte.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081