Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Mortise technique
Response To:
Mortise technique ()

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I am curious why anyone but a historian would be interested in how a factory in some way past time and place did hand tool woodworking. Given the multitude of variables that differ between this setting and the situation today I don't see these historical accounts of more than a curiosity, and certainly not a useful guide, even if they were accurate and depicted practices widely practiced at that time, both doubtful assumptions. What would be historically interesting would be equivalent documentation of a Colonial, British and German factory. I predict the differences in the details would be substantial.

What could be useful today would be for someone to describe what the Irion factory did. Here was a modern factory putting product out the door with a lot of hand tool work. Their techniques would have been efficient and reliable and in a setting and with tools more resembling our shops.

What would be practical for someone needing to make a mortise would be to ask any of the modern Period Furniture makers.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081