Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Pictures from Testing for Article

Winston
It's great to see your test results. I have to say I'm surprised there's such a big difference between 30 and 32 degrees for these chisels. I'm no longer surprised that the buffed edge holds up so much better.

> 13/16ths of maple, 1 3/8" tall and one inch of cut length chopping.

Can you explain your test a bit more? It's not clear to me what the procedure was.

I wonder if some of the differences in durability between the chisels is due to different behavior when buffed. The PM-V11, for example, gets shaped more slowly when buffed, and maybe the edge didn't get as much of a convex profile as the others.

I know it can be difficult to get profile pictures (especially when the chisel has no lands, as in the Veritas chisels) but they may be enlightening.

The reason I'm thinking about this now is because I went back and looked at profile photos of the Buck Bros chisel when buffed vs. stropped. I saw that the buffed chisel had an extremely high angle right near the edge, as in 60 degrees or more, and it's possible that the high angle is the reason that the edge held up so well when buffed.

In the profile photos you posted earlier, it looked like your buffed chisels were 45 degrees right at the edge. I wonder if a higher angle would increase durability without adding noticeable cutting resistance.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081