Hand Tools

Subject:
Before the unicorn - similar edge with stones *PIC*

David Weaver
Looking through some of my chisels last night, I found this one from a set that I set up a couple of years ago. I never used this particular chisel after setup, but the rest I've used a bunch.

It's just an old stormont tang chisel with its brand stuck out with a line (as in, it's a second of some sort).

If someone has an aversion to buffers, this is how I think beginners should sharpen chisels. It's a primary grind that's not too steep, and then just as the unicorn is done, the secondary bevel is up just off the primary, and a fine stone strip on the edge, probably around 30 or so.

The point of it is that the fine stone work is targeted and precise. You remove a little from the edge with a slow fine stone and there is visible evidence that you have.

It eliminates the need to set an angle on the grinder or use any guides at all, and the fine stone can be hard and precise instead of fast. Sharpening cycle time is enormously reduced and success is high without having to have great technique.

It also eliminates the problem that I see with most single bevels in practice, which is the failure to get the finest stone work thoroughly completed at the edge.

But the buffer just makes it easier yet to complete work, it's sharper, and the edge is more durable.

Messages In This Thread

Before the unicorn - similar edge with stones *PIC*
keen eyes will..
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081