Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: I would add....
Response To:
I would add.... ()

David Weaver
>and it seems to be fool proof.<

Bingo, and the bits learned with it on chisels and now plane irons are so easily usable on just about every other kind of edged tool one can find other than a straight razor or a scythe.

The gentleness that the buffer displays at the very edge while still being able to cut pretty fast is really incredible. It just took off and on tinkering for 10 years to figure out a way to keep it from making a steep fat rounded over edge (as leather on a full bevel will lead to).

Wiley is somewhat responsible for this, too. He pointed me to that SGPS pocket knife, and the thing would absolutely not take a good edge off of anything but the buffer. All of these little things contribute. I think 95% of folks who read about the method will think it sounds complicated and be averse to a buffer.

Anyone who tries it for a week and who is honest about the quality vs. a method that they may have a semi-religious attachment to (referring to folks who may adore or despise some woodworking gurus and run toward or away from them in silent spite) will admit how much better it is.

Pretty much everything where the method steps up performance has been touched (Steve V. mentioned the buck chisels - the incannel gouges that I have are buck. i LOVE the way they look and their proportions, but the edges can be a little fragile. Yesterday when I was counting the english branded chisels that I have, I found that I have something like 20 buck brothers chisels, excluding gouges. I don't remember getting all of those, but the steel is so fine in them, and the slight lack of hardness is sort of a deterrent. The fineness draws you back in, though - now, it's solved).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081