Hand Tools

Subject:
I've seen that bevel often...
Response To:
This sounds familiar ()

David Weaver
including on japanese tools. as long as the user has the discretion to stop at a certain angle and go to a coarser stone if progress isn't being made without going steeper, it works well.

The tyzack chisels that I had and one plane in the past were different, though, which is why I mentioned them separately.

They had an extremely gradual long bevel, and then the very tip was honed steeply. The bevels were close to flat. It makes me think that someone really wanted them to be as thin as possible for a reason. Like perhaps someone working making only drawers and wanting to keep the waste between tails from bunching up as it was severed.

I had one other plane that was in a pair of well kept planes that didn't look to have ever been mangled by amateurs. It also had a super long thin bevel, and then a very deliberately (but neatly) kept much steeper secondary/final angle. I assumed at the time that someone figured that if they kept the primary very long, they could use the plane for a while (on site or during work hours) without spending much time sharpening.

I have no idea if I'm right on either of those guesses. Those are the only two that I can recall getting with bevels like that. The angle for both must've been on the order of 15 degrees, and flat.

I also assumed that the plane iron would fail due to lack of support, because that's a popular thing for people to argue about. A user whose name starts with S (not posting here) used to constantly assert that a hollow bevel or a thin bevel is weak, which really misleads beginners. If a bevel is weak, we will find that it is. when I got my first 6" grinder, the discussion about how much stronger a 10" tormek bevel would be was very popular ("the hollow isn't so deep and it won't weaken the edge"). I got the grinder anyway, but also a tormek. The tormek is a huge pain for day to day work where we're just grinding and then honing on stones. Never did chase damage up into the chisel bevel.

At any rate, I used that plane for a while just honing further into the thin bevel and it never failed. Once I found the planes that I wanted to copy, I sold most of the rest of what i had, and that one is long gone, but the bevel was honed off, anyway.

It's far more common to find japanese and older tools rounded like you say. I would guess that examination of bevels would find some marks from silicon carbide stones in the rounded bevels - they work really well for that. New carborundum in an oil bath for the bevel side of tools is really super for chasing a full bevel.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081