Hand Tools

Subject:
Pros and Cons
Response To:
Re: Thanks all ()

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
I am enthusiastic about the method for chisels. Not only adding a durable edge to cheesy blades, but also for refreshing and enhancing decent chisels in use. Further, I refreshed and enhanced lathe chisels today - what a great, quick way to keep chisels, flat and turning, in play.

I am less enthusiastic about hand planes. I experimented with a BU smoother and the results were logical: buffing increases the bevel angle. This is not a bad thing - within reason - for BU planes. A block plane still cuts end grain. However, a BU smoother, with a high cutting angle (e.g. 50 degree secondary bevel = 62 degree cutting angle), then buffed, creates a roughly 70 degree secondary bevel (= 82 degree cutting angle), and the plane turns into a scraper. [I have photos to demonstrate this]

With a BD plane, the shavings became stringy and lose integrity. Planing becomes unpredictable. I would far rather take the blade to the stones and re-hone than buff.

What became clear to me is that there is a need to develop a method where the angle created is controlled. Perhaps it is not the act of buffing, but the creation of a steeper micro-micro bevel reinforcing the edge. It is also just another tertiary bevel, and it is this which adds sharpness at the same time. If this is so, then can one simply use a very fine stone/grit to do the job?

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081