Hand Tools

Subject:
an article is coming..

David Weaver
..no hard felt.

The koch system (which this caused me to re-look at) uses hard felt for grinding and soft felt for honing, but it uses the felt at low speed.

I have used a hard felt wheel off and on, but for something this fine and at the speed of a bench top buffer, it can damage an edge. Or I should say more specifically, I've damaged edges with it.

A review of the koch wheels found that those, too, would damage edges at high speed (and those are small wheels).

Felt has a lot of persuasion when loaded with abrasive and can draw a wire edge, too.

From the forthcoming article:

The method is simply this (for chisels and gouges other than mortise chisels):
• A primary grind of 20 degrees
• A freehand honed secondary bevel only slightly steeper; low 20s to a maximum of 25 degrees
• Buff the honed edge with a buffer for about five seconds on a stitched cotton wheel that has been charged with a relatively fine (super fine isn’t needed) aluminum oxide-based buffing compound. Buffing is done approximately at 45 degrees. The buff doesn’t cut like a stone, so you don’t end up with a 45 degree microbevel.

The buffing wheel should be a stitched cotton or yellow cotton with shellac with somewhere around 1/2 inch of free loose cotton after the last stitch.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081