Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Yet another chisel edge test

Winston
I'm glad you're trying it out! I hope you'll report what you find. As David said, having confirmation from others is very helpful.

> I do have a question about the compound, though. You describe addressing the corner of the wheel with a chisel back, without getting onto the rouge. How narrow a strip of compound do you apply?

I hold the drill in my left hand, pointing right, and I hold the chisel in my right hand. With this orientation, I put compound on the left and middle of the wheel, avoiding the right-most edge. I hope that makes sense.

I've been buffing the chisel's bevel anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds, and then the back for maybe a second total, hitting the corner of the wheel without compound. The chisel seems marginally sharper after doing the back. (Also, I don't claim to really know what I'm doing -- this just seems to be working for me.)

I think the amount of compound in the buff has a strong effect on how quickly it cuts. But I wouldn't worry about details too much at first. I think it's simple and forgiving enough that an exact technique doesn't matter too much.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081