Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: perfect pictures..
Response To:
perfect pictures.. ()

Winston
> The pictures in the maple tell the story so clearly that I think most people will find the results hard to believe, especially if they've ever used stanley 60 or buck brothers chisels of that type with a flat bevel.

I agree, I would find it hard to believe if I hadn't done the test myself! Hopefully the pictures tell a pretty convincing story, and hopefully others will try it out and find that yes, it really makes that much of a difference.

I think my next test will be a flat-honed PM-V11 chisel. I also want to compare a buffed PM-V11 chisel. I'd expect it to last longer than the buffed Buck Brothers chisel, but I don't think my test procedure could demonstrate that, since that chisel was essentially undamaged in the test.

I think I have been buffing these chisels more successfully than the first ones that I tried when I heard about this method. By "more successful", I mean that I'm getting chisels that are both sharper and significantly more durable than a flat-honed chisel. There's something I'm doing better with technique, though I'm not sure exactly what it is. Maybe it's that I'm using a lighter touch, or that I'm putting the blade closer to tangent to the wheel... I'm not sure exactly.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081