Hand Tools

Subject:
I don't know that it is any different
Response To:
Re: They go in deep... ()

David Weaver
the level of polish from wood is like mentioned here - the diamonds bury very deep, and they don't have the same aggressiveness. They're slower and the level of polish is super high (for example, to get a completely perfect cosmetic polish on something with them in wood is far easier than it is on a harder surface, and almost no wire edge is ever retained on anything).

I used wood out of laziness and because diamonds aren't expensive. but long term, I'd use cast, because it cuts faster (that's in regard to sharpening).

I've got a lot of corian. I'll try it sometime today or tomorrow, but that's separate from something like flattening a stone. Not sure if I can find the 100 grit diamond bag that I had previously, but I can try silicon carbide in it.

For fine diamonds, I'm sure it would work very well - the virtue of cast is that the edge may be slightly less polished (it's still a superior edge to an arkansas stone for keenness and longevity - even though the feel is lacking compared to a natural stone), but the cast is very stingy with diamonds. You charge it seldom and with very little. The drawback to cast is that if there's any contaminant on the surface, even tiny, it dents the edge (wood doesn't).

At any rate, I'll try the corian and see what I can find. There's often corian scrap on ebay for barely more than the cost of shipping and for anyone curious, you can cut it with a hand saw and trim the edges with a plane without issue.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081