Hand Tools

Subject:
You continue to not understand the word ideal
Response To:
Re: let's get specific ()

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
The only reason I replied to your suggestion of using glass is the fact that glass does not have the properties to make it an ideal substrate for abrading with large particle sized silicon carbide. It might be that if someone understood what properties an ideal substrate should have they would come up with something better than glass. Maybe Corian, Lexan, or Plexiglas which is good for large particle sized diamonds, or ???

You continue to attempt to discredit my knowledge of abrasion with a loose abrasive on a substrate by questioning my experience with an ARK stone. It matters not what one is abrading the fundamentals are the same. The original poster spoke of the slow abrasion he was observing. If he could find a more ideal substrate the abrasion would be faster. Worth the effort to look? That is up to whoever needs to do it. I don't care. I have pointed out the properties in a substrate to look for if someone whats to experiment.

For example, when I became interested in the topic, abrasives were being embedded in MDF, maple etc to sharpen tools I studied what was known about the topic, not by people with vast experience in planing wood, but people that had expertise in abrading stuff with diamonds. Turns out the people that know the most are not woodworkers but diamond faceters. I found that for centuries diamonds were embedded in cast iron as the ideal substrate and remain so today. If someone, as a result of convenience, stubbornness, frugality or what not continues to use diamond on MDF I could care less. If they advocate using MDF I will point out it is not ideal. The audience can choose what to do as suits their situation. My well being does not depend on whether my advice is taken or not.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081