Hand Tools

Subject:
experience in 10 minutes of playing

David Weaver
sometimes, you can't remember why you did certain things. I remember developing a sensitivity to cherry dust and having asthma attacks afterwards (mild/moderate - not emergency, but required inhaler - hate that).

But I couldn't remember that much from scraping other than that I learned early on to set burrs on scraping planes and #s 80 stanley because I thought they'd be heavily used. I still have one 80.

I scraped the sides of my cabinet at lunch, and then planed (jointed) and then intentionally used the #80 and a card scraper to prepare the face of a macassar ebony board about 48 x 6 inches. It worked pretty well, removed all of the tearout on one burr - I'm sure it's got considerable wear, though (same with the card - one roll of the burr and that was it - way nicer looking shavings than the delicate things I got in the video with the english sycamore).

And then when I came in and sat down, I have chest tightness from asthma because cherry and macassar ebony are both dusty when you scrape them, even if you get nice long shavings. I don't know which one excited the tightness, but my hands were filthy from the macassar board despite getting long continuous shavings on the scrapers.

I can see why scraping would be attractive to someone who didn't want to buy boutique planes, but who hadn't figured out the cap iron. on really tricky woods, it's about even up as you have to take more final shavings with a double iron, on softer woods, it's not a wash, but it's not intolerable (much faster than sanding multiple steps).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081