Hand Tools

Subject:
cleaning the burr??
Response To:
Stanley scraper inserts ()

David Weaver
do you mean cleaning it of wood scuzz or cleaning it of bits of metal? I've noticed that it can't really have anything on it of either type if you want it to be really polished and smooth and even. There are older videos of other instructors showing long honing routines of the edges and faces and it's agonizing to do that in a shop when you're trying to work on something, and there's filth and grit everywhere (with the buffer on the floor, there's no filthy hands, and the filth stays on the floor).

I made a video of the process which is by no means necessary to watch, but I like the effect of this process after you get away from the file for a round as the second version of the edge is better than the first. I would guess that it's me being too chicken to really blast the very last bits of the file burr off of the edge on the buffing wheel (fear of round over), but will continue experimenting.

The other nice thing about the buffer is it blasts off anything on both edges and the metal is very clean and smooth for rolling the burr. The buff wheel can be made to do very little using the corner of it instead of heavy pressure straight on and I'll see over time - it may not be necessary to file more than once every several hours of scraper use with an even hand on the deburring wheel.

1095 stock is what most of the better scrapers are made from, but some of the older english companies make stock that feels soft and with a relatively coarse surface finish.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081