Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: 80 grit
Response To:
Re: 80 grit *PIC* ()

William Duffield
Warren, do you have a link to Zodo's post on his modification to the Gramercy holefast? I don't know why I didn't pay attention to it when he posted it. (Maybe I thought mine worked well enough. ;) ) I think Paul's idea is worth investigating, especially given the price and availability of the Gramercy holdfasts and the fact that I have several of them. Since they are made of spring steel wire, tapering the head to increase the springiness (technically, to decrease the spring rate) should not result in premature failure. The extrusion process should have effectively lined up most of the minerals to significantly increase the material's toughness and reduce brittleness Of course, traditional hold fasts made from either wrought or ductile iron, should have similar properties, at least compared to cheap Chinese cast iron.

Ray, If you find you need to apply the abrasive, you probably will find that you don't need to make it anywhere near as rough as your rat tail file. If you want a shaft that rough, you might look into the Veritas hold down.

The hobby users who have it don't report prematurely chewed up dog holes. Of course they haven't been using the same bench with one preferred dog hole for 40 years. If you ever wear out a dog hole, just drill a new one next to it. If the original one happens to already be in exactly the right spot, drill it out to a larger diameter, turn and glue in a harderwood plug, and drill a new dog hole through it. I would suggest using rock maple, persimmon, hornbeam or even ipe for the plug if you don't ever want to do it again.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081