Hand Tools

Subject:
short version...
Response To:
Re: exactly correct... ()

David Weaver
..of what I found sharpening a bunch of knives. The SGPS knife is the only one I have left made of wondersteel of any type, but I like it now.

reading around, it seems like there is a preference among some for a knife that doesn't really get that sharp. I saw under the scope that voids were created in sharpening with stones, diamonds on steel, pretty much everything but the buff.

There are levels of sharpness - what's nice in a gouge or a paring chisel is far sharper than "it removes some hair". You could only just get SGPS to remove a little bit of hair, but see the voids under the microscope.

But surprisingly, when diamonds and other such things seemed to just move the steel around and leave voids, the crystolon stone instead wastes it away quickly, and the deburr wheel and the buff unexpectedly make it as sharp as anything else - after temporarily giving up on it and being completely puzzled why anyone would want a knife that gives up little bits of the edge even to a very fine stone.

Somewhere, this fits in the theory of spontaneous something. Set it aside, and at some point, a solution will spontaneously appear.

I have that knife in my pocket now. No clue if any of this kind of stuff is useful to anyone else (I can't imagine, for sure, telling a beginner to use a deburring wheel and a buff to sharpen a knife - like woody hayes would say, three things can happen and two are bad). It gives me something to do not just on really tough knives, but knives that aren't tough (cheap knives are now easily refreshed for scraping work on inside curves).

About a decade ago (or more), i remember George Wilson talking about various things with knives, and when someone asked him what his favorite tool was (expecting who knows what...an HLVH lathe or some exotic infill plane that he made) he said the most useful tool is a good shop knife.

This gives me an idea to experiment with something else on the buffer - related to card scrapers.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081