Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Ever use "curly maple
Response To:
Ever use "curly maple ()

Sgian Dubh
If you're talking about curly soft maple, Bill, I think not. As I said in an earlier post, I can't recall ever knowingly working with soft maple (Acer rubrum), although I suppose I might have done so without realising.

I have worked with relatively small amounts of both hard maple (Acer saccharum) and European sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus) that had interesting figuring, such as fiddleback or quilted. I've never really sought out highly figured examples of the various maples under discussion to work with, either because that wasn't the appearance or a characteristic I was looking for in my own work, and similarly, in the case of working for other people as a maker and employee, those characteristics weren't usually sought for their products.

Having said that, there have been a few occasions where I've worked on pieces where there were elements veneered with either hard maple or European sycamore with significant figuring: but I don't think my experience working with veneers really fits into this thread because the main thrust of the discussion seems to be focused on larger lumps of wood, e.g., boards, billets, and the like. Slainte.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081