Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: warpage

David Weaver
I've heard before that it has warpage issues commercially. in keeping with the discussion on the other side, the market for true dead on quartersawn wood that's sawn dead down the center of a tree is too small for most sawyers to ever cater to it.

The only instance I can think of is horizon making plane blanks of beech at 13.50 a board foot (Which I'd gladly pay as I've bought quartered 8/4 beech elsewhere with less care and a fair amount of it always twists because it's quartered, but the pith isn't centered relative to the saw path).

That may also explain why it's suitable for flooring. Nailed in place, it probably can't do much, and the flooring is already narrow to begin with.

Martin was buying thin resawn wood from the fellow I mentioned - I'm sure they buy a lot of wood and probably discard a lot of defective wood. The guy who told me about his sale of locust and sycamore was really full of himself, so he'd never admit that some of it will twist over time, but I'm sure it will. In the (really) old days a dealer, would've kept, dried and stored the wood and sold only the fraction that stayed straight seasonally to high end customers.

The trees here are as you say - giant clear sections. Some of them are straight and some are leaners (Since they grow near water and go toward the open area above the water if they're near enough to it). It may not be possible to get stable wood out of the leaners. The quartered look of it is dazzling, though.

These things occur to me as something that I might be able to do in retirement - sourcing my own wood. It's not practical now.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081