Hand Tools

Subject:
The frame can be very stout.
Response To:
Thanks *PIC* ()

Jim Matthews
"For the desk in the picture I used sturdy joinery but it was hard to execute. Too many joints had to come together all at once and mate tightly. The top rail is dovetailed into the leg, the bottom rail is M&T into the leg and the panel is set in a dado in the leg and rails."

Exactly why I explored this kludge.

I can keep two legs planar, but cutting additional (perpendicular and planar) mortices in the legs gave me pause. I considered cutting them after the front and rear pairs were assembled - but that approaches my 40" limit for handling in my shop.

The cross section of the frame gives it resistance to torsion - it's as strong as the weakest joint. The idea was to make two as similar as I'm able and plane them to match.

Fitting the panel afterwards makes the glue up a breeze - lotsa room for clamps!

I watched a video testing simple rub joints to destruction (MDF displays for retail) and was impressed that glue alone should be strong enough - the screws just help with alignment.

I hazard a SWAG that tightly press fit panels have a skin effect, on the assembly.

The real question is what happens to these panels over the Summer.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081