Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: New spokeshave
Response To:
New spokeshave *PIC* ()

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
Jack, can you say how you designed the wear for the mouth of your spokeshave? Specifically, how it is in relation to the blade - coplanar or angled?

I do not have much experience with vintage wooden spokeshaves, instead have used many metal as well as some modern wooden ones. A few years ago I was building a few travishers. These were based on a design by windsor chairmaker, Peter Galbert.

The notable feature of these travishers is the design of the mouth/sole ..

... the wear angles at 3 degrees away from the mouth.

The effect of this is that forward pressure reduces the depth of cut, and the shaving taken is quite fine. Place pressure on the rear of the sole, and the depth of cut it increeased, with a thicker shaving taken (it may be thr other way around ... :) )

It occurred to me that this must be the same with vintage wooden spokeshaves. However I do not own any in good enough condition to test this out. I have HNT Gordon woodies, but they are really like small hand planes. Metal spokeshaves, similarly, have coplanar soles. Even the curved ones - the wear area continues into the mouth. It does not drop away.

The closest I have is a set of wooden Stanley spokeshaves, such as the #84 ...

The wear here does angle, and I can induce a thick and thin shaving in the same manner to a travisher.

Interestingly, this is not the case with the Veritas LA spokeshave, which resembles the Stanley. The wear is parallel ..

If this is correct, I find it interesting that a common recommendation for metal spokeshaves - to open one side and close the other - is suggested for woodies. If woodies are designed to be used like the travisher, then the blade can be left in a single position.

Hoping for enlightenment ....

Regards from Perth

Derek (and hoping everyone out there is safe and healthy)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081