Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: 6 facets on a pencil instead of 8

David Weaver
Yes, a jig *should* make it fairly easy, though the jig will have to be small and be able to hold the pencil firmly and support the back side of the cut properly (or the facets don't get cut to the same depth).

what I'm looking to do at this point is avoid making any jigs that have any complication on the stock (e.g., gripping the barrels at both ends would require a normalized stock length, or a fixture that can slide). I think what I'm going to do next is make a plane that cuts two facets at a 120 degree angle in one pass. I have a stock board that has a 120 degree groove in it.

The attraction of the octagonal barrel is it's easy. It stays in place in a 90 degree groove no matter what and you can just sort of freewheel them out. The pencil isn't uncomfortable, it's just apparent to me that the feel of 6 is better. I attempted it with the first board, but the pencil becomes unstable to hold once you've planed the facets on the first side and you try to plane at an angle on the second side.

I'd made the barrel blanks on the first attempts (which were 6 sided) square to the longest measured point across the center by turning the pencil in calipers to get the largest measurement.

It's an interesting problem. One that may also be solved by making a wooden bottom plane a little longer than the pencil length and pulling the pencil across it like someone would use a cooper's jointer. That would be pretty satisfying, a little fiddly, but once the cut starts, not that fiddly. I like the less than perfect but good result.

Severe overanalysis! but I'd make bookshelves if I didn't want to do that.

One other thing that's interesting with the 8 facet pencil. You can freely pull the pencil along an upside down bench plane with the cap iron set and not worry about tearout, but at the same time, also not worry about your fingers. When the cap is set close to the edge, the iron just won't be able to get a deep enough cut to cut skin. You can slice across the blade if you're a dope, but that's easy to avoid. I don't think a single iron specialty plane will be as forgiving on the finger tips. We'll see.

Messages In This Thread

First successful (sort of) Pencil
Or, there are circular pencils
Re: Or, there are circular pencils
Re: First successful (sort of) Pencil
Re: First successful (sort of) Pencil *PIC*
Re: First successful (sort of) Pencil *LINK*
Great recommendation on the book..
Re: Great recommendation on the book..
By page 62 in petroski's text..
Pencil Two - Octagonal
Re: Pencil Two - Octagonal
times change - urushi
urushi is related to poison oak and others *LINK*
Re: urushi is related to poison oak and others
Sensitization
Re: Sensitization
Re: times change - urushi
Re: one more - shellac french polish
knife sharpening, to chisel sharpening
Re: knife sharpening, to chisel sharpening
Re: knife sharpening, to chisel sharpening
Shellac
Water or Alcohol
6 facets on a pencil instead of 8
6 facets is better, but harder
if anyone is secretly making pencils...
My Port Orford cedar has arrived
A few more...
Re: A few more...
(I can almost guarantee)
Re: Ducking and Running *LINK*
$594!!!!
Convincing advertising
BCTW and kleptocrats
Re: BCTW and kleptocrats
The thread diverged, there...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081