Hand Tools

Subject:
Tangential to your OT

Steve Voigt
Dave, that looks like a decent vise.
Your story reminds me of a related rabbit hole I went down this summer. I stopped in at Homestead Antiques in Millersburg OH this summer. They have an enormous supply of old tools, though a lot of them are not in great shape. But it's worth a trip--great little town, and the owner of Homestead is very knowledgeable and fun to talk to.
I got to talking with him about vises, and he showed me several Wil-Burt Versa Vises he had. I think he was selling them for $120-150, which is about what a decent one will cost you on Ebay. The vise swivels and locks when you tighten it--it's pretty slick. But even better was the swivel base adapter he had, which gives you another axis.
I did some research when I got home and found that an Ohio company makes the vises according to Wil-Burts original prints, using a mix of domestic and imported parts, for considerably less than the vintage ones go for. They also sell the swivel base adapter.
I never shelled out for the item but this thread is making me think about it again…a few more months of hemming and hawing and I might be ready! :D

http://www.willburtversavise.com/

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081