Hand Tools

Subject:
Thank you all...
Response To:
answers ()

Jonathan Elliott
I was hoping to communicate exactly what Wiley said and showed with the Norton abrasives. Bill's answer (that he uses 0-1u) actually surprised me so I'm glad I asked the question. I had always assumed that when 1u diamond was referred to that it was the average as Norton and Ted Pella list (0-2u). I don't desire to drag anyone down into a rabbit hole that has long been excavated as far as anyone wants to go, but I'm glad to have a better understanding of what's being discussed now.

I appreciate the practical points you bring up David. Personal experience is the greatest teacher. I agree with what Steve Voigt has said in the past (at least about the chip breaker) for someone just starting out it's nice to have a started point based on other's experience and then go from there.

For context, I am new to the hand tool world, having worked in machine only shops but look forward to diving into hand tools in my own shop so I'm absorbing with interest before I actually start experiencing and discovering what works for me. I wanted to have a clearer understanding of what was being discussed and this has helped a lot. I appreciate everyone's feedback based on their experiences, it's really interesting to me.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081