Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Diminishing returns
Response To:
Diminishing returns ()

Steve Voigt
Derek, I understand your point in response to Bill, but I think you're oversimplifying. The purpose of the pure chrome ox (.5 or .3) is not to get a sharper edge than the formax stick, at least not in the way I intend to use it (and it sounds like Dave has used it this way too). The purpose is to knock off the bits of wire edge a little more easily/quickly than a bare leather strop would. I use a bare strop and it works fine, but I'm interested in an experiment, nothing more, to see if I could speed things up a tad.
This is probably only relevant to oil stone users anyway. A fine Ark will leave a wire edge that must be removed. With your water stones, the slurry beats up the burr enough that there's likely not much wire left after your 10K stone; in fact, I'm not sure I see the benefit of the green strop after a 10K stone, but I'm not a waterstone guy so I'll leave it alone.
Broadly speaking, there are two fundamentally different activities that get described as stropping (you've written about this before and we're in complete agreement). Stropping on plain leather is about removing the wire edge remnants after an oil stone, and done correctly will have no effect on the geometry established by the stone that preceded it.
On the other hand, scribbling green stick on mdf or leather and using it aggressively is really just adding a finer "stone" to one's repertoire, a "stone" that's more flexible than a real stone. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a different thing.
The 0.3 powder is interesting to me because it's potentially a liminal instance, abrasive enough to knock off that oilstone burr without being abrasive enough to establish a new geometry or raise a new, finer wire edge.
Personally, I could care less whether the fine powder is al ox or chrom ox. I suspect the chrome ox is less aggressive and would work better for me, but I don't really know that. I have no idea where Bill is going with this comparison, whether it's intended to solve an actual problem or is just theoretical speculation.
Side note on your Sellers comment: I think he spends 5 minutes on the "strop" for two reasons: (1) the diamond stones he uses are so harsh that he's got to at least ameliorate the deep scratches they leave; (2) his technique makes for pretty haphazard geometry (and I'm sure it's even worse for his acolytes), so he's got to make sure he actually "strops" all the way to the edge, through brute force and repetition.
OK, I'm done ranting.

Messages In This Thread

Is chromium oxide honing compound still relevant
Re: Is chromium oxide honing compound still releva
Visually similar *LINK*
That is what I am going to experiment with
Appearance...
Re: Appearance...
to repeat the question....
Re: to repeat the question....
Re: to repeat the question.... *LINK*
Re: Good link, thanks. *NM*
sources
PS
Re: sources
Wiley you nailed it, I think
Diminishing returns
Re: Wiley you nailed it, I think
Green and white vs. white
Historical methods
Re: Historical methods
Re: Historical methods
Extrapolation of scenarios
Re: Extrapolation of scenarios
Re: Extrapolation of scenarios
I hope brian doesn't show up...
Re: I hope brian doesn't show up...
Enlighten me
No clue about historical..
Re: Enlighten me
A minerology lesson
Re: A minerology lesson
Re: A minerology lesson *LINK*
I stand corrected
Re: Enlighten me
The emphasis on speed...
What do I have?
Something called the ‘Koch System’
Historical yet again
Re: Something called the ‘Koch System’
The wax thing...
Re: The wax thing...
Re: Is chromium oxide vs aluminum oxide +...
Two questions remain
My opinion..
Marketing with the compounds...
G-456--not that it's practical
Or not...illegal to ship?
polishing stainless
Re: polishing stainless
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081