Hand Tools

Subject:
Extrapolation of scenarios
Response To:
Re: Historical methods ()

david weaver
I'm sure that there's someone somewhere trying to do that (maintain a plane iron with a buff), but it wouldn't be me. Clearance is important on a plane, so is straightness of the edge.

I applied that at first to my incannel gouges, too (not being able to maintain geometry), but with a deburring wheel and then a buff, I have to admit they are superior in daily use vs. sharpening with slips, at least how I'm using them (to widen control channels in guitars, or to clean up the sides of a plane mortise). What is the issue here? I guess it's an internet thing - I sharpen plane irons one way, incannel gouges another, outcannel gouges another, drill bits another. It's results and efforts based. I guess it doesn't lend itself well to generalized discussion because it's not "I do it this way" and most of these discussions attract imagination about what might be vs. what is.

The specific issue being addressed here as I can figure is if you sharpen a plane iron and you're going to strop, what happens if you charge the strop with chrome ox powder. Two things come to mind.
1) not much happens fast (and that's good)
2) if the strop is used properly, the edge will be sharper than it would've been without the charge and it will last at least as long (if I tested it, it would probably last longer)

Does it matter? I don't think so. I don't bother with it on chisels or plane irons, my strop is bare.

There is some usefulness of very fine and reasonably slow media, though, and that is to round over the tip of an edge with ideal geometry (on the bevel side). it pushes the failure of the edge further up into the bevel (which should never be an issue unless there is rough handling) and extends time in use (I'd prefer to use slow stones for that, like a settled in trans or black, or some other artificial oilstone that cuts that level of fineness).

Not something I would direct a beginner to do because they won't understand the difference between what level makes or an improvement and what level makes for a blunt edge.

I sharpen all of my bench chisels this way, including japanese. This rounding is subtle, not a blunt curl (more of a strong bias), and to me (not anyone else, I'm sure), it's important that the rounded area is very small so that there's no significant change in cut resistance.

Once in a great while, I've mentioned this with japanese chisels and a few users who are loud but to my understanding, not very accomplished, will rebut that it's unacceptable (loudly). I think they read too many books or websites and don't do enough work. I think they might imagine what I'm doing and imagine something that's not remotely close to what I'm doing, and then go on from that point with errant information. When I sell a tool, the only question I ever get is "what did you do to to the edge? It's sharper than I'm used to" (off of the stone, not with compound). To go further into detail would be pointless because I think it just creates a scenario where peoples imaginations run wild, that there'd be some compromise made such that they couldn't use my tools because of the adulteration to (or from) perfection and that would be far from the truth.

Messages In This Thread

Is chromium oxide honing compound still relevant
Re: Is chromium oxide honing compound still releva
Visually similar *LINK*
That is what I am going to experiment with
Appearance...
Re: Appearance...
to repeat the question....
Re: to repeat the question....
Re: to repeat the question.... *LINK*
Re: Good link, thanks. *NM*
sources
PS
Re: sources
Wiley you nailed it, I think
Diminishing returns
Re: Diminishing returns
Re: Wiley you nailed it, I think
Green and white vs. white
Historical methods
Re: Historical methods
Re: Historical methods
Extrapolation of scenarios
Re: Extrapolation of scenarios
Re: Extrapolation of scenarios
I hope brian doesn't show up...
Re: I hope brian doesn't show up...
Enlighten me
No clue about historical..
Re: Enlighten me
A minerology lesson
Re: A minerology lesson
Re: A minerology lesson *LINK*
I stand corrected
Re: Enlighten me
The emphasis on speed...
What do I have?
Something called the ‘Koch System’
Historical yet again
Re: Something called the ‘Koch System’
The wax thing...
Re: The wax thing...
Re: Is chromium oxide vs aluminum oxide +...
Two questions remain
My opinion..
Marketing with the compounds...
G-456--not that it's practical
Or not...illegal to ship?
polishing stainless
Re: polishing stainless
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081