Hand Tools

Subject:
Moravian hexagonal drawer *PIC*

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

This site has been a bit short on working wood. Shown is a picture of the hexagonal drawer that goes into the corner cupboard. I don't know if it is a Moravian drawer but it does use angled dovetails that the Moravians used in their furnishings, so it might be. These joints settle the issue of pins or tails first. One option is impossible to transfer the pattern. Another issue is holding the pieces together for transferring pattern from pin board to tail board. I came up with solutions for building the drawer and later found what I did was what was believed to have been done, maybe because there isn't another way that can be readily executed.

Sloppiest joints I ever included in a piece of furniture. Some geometrical considerations result in small sawing errors becoming big gaps upon assembly. But I got tired of perfecting the joints and what I have will hold the drawer together.

It was so much "fun" struggling with angled dovetails that I made a trapezoidal box to go behind the drawer as a secret drawer.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081