Hand Tools

Subject:
stew mac's width..

David Weaver
...i mean thickness. wrong word...

The videos show someone (Can't remember his name..burns?. not mr, but brian or something) making the deliberate hollow. A stanley iron works (I have used a stanley iron like this since before I ever saw the stew mac video, but not much), but the advantage of the thickness is in the ease of finding center to grind it. Unless you have a grinder set up to hit dead center on the stanley blade, you'll appreciate the depth of the hollow that the thicker blade provides.

I'd make a comment about these being material removers, but almost everyone sands, so it doesn't matter if they leave a little bit of scratching, or a slightly dull surface. It's a waste of time to hone them in my opinion, unless someone is insistent that they get the finish from the same tool (curve scraper and burnisher works better).

The bedding scraper that bill (gosh, terrible with names today -.....) carter uses also works well the same way. grind a hollow on the end of a super hard chisel at 60 degrees, it's shockingly fast at removing material from woods that are just about impossible to pare and that maul the saw temper floats (like LNs). You can get in trouble with it because it's such a pleasure to use that it's *too fast*. A great tool for neck pockets on guitars, too, where the edge of the pocket will be seen and can't afford any tearing, and bad grain orientation on a body may not allow paring.

I've not notice a heat build up issue with a stanley iron (which i admit I don't use much now), but if I make one of these purpose built, it'll be 3/16ths next time like derek's.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081