Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: wood-database-how do I use it

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
There are at least 4 important metal attributes- hardness, at least two kinds of abrasion resistance and toughness. I don't know whether a hard silica containing wood like you used for the end grain study challenges these variables equivalent to wood I typically use. So to be forthcoming, when you report on a tool evaluation, or technique, using one of these atypical furniture woods I have some reservation about the conclusion's relevance to what I do, again carefully chosen words. A reservation means you got my attention, but, I need more data to reach a conclusion.

Bill, you must not compare my research to that of David’s. David went above-and-beyond. It was a mammoth effort, and he covered a lot of bases. Clearly, David is certifiable! :) By comparison, my effort is small stuff. The goals I aimed at 8 years ago were more modest. Frankly, I do not know if I would now want to do anything even like that again. It is exhausting - not just the woodwork, and not just the writing, but finding that you cannot please all.

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081