Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Update
Response To:
Re: Update ()

Winston
For this particular blade, I have sometimes been able to get a clean edge, and when I have, it's lasted for a surprisingly long time without defects. This is subjective -- I don't have any numbers for it, but it seemed like I was getting a very smooth surface for about as long as the best of my other blades. The problem is that I can't seem to get that edge consistently.

This blade behaves so differently from all the other plane blades that I have (which include A2, O1, PM-V11, Tsunesaburo blue steel, and stock Stanley) and I just can't figure out how to make it happy. With the most recent sharpening of this blade, I probably didn't spend enough time on the finer stones, and the result was disastrous chipping, which you could see in the previous photo. When I sharpen other blades with this same progression (1000 diamond, 5000 Shapton, 12000 Shapton), even I don't spend enough time on the finer stones, the blade still cuts fine without big defects. I just don't get quite as nice a surface as I otherwise would.

Thanks for the advice about the bevel angle. Since I'm working and reworking this blade anyway, I might move the main bevel angle to be a couple of degrees shallower.

I'm thinking of tempering the blade in my oven. I've never done it before but it seems like I don't have much to lose at this point.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081