Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Oven tempering
Response To:
Re: Oven tempering ()

david weaver
I can do two or three irons at a time, depending on their size. it wouldn't work for large batches, but the average person tempering a few irons would be served to reduce the risk of messing a bunch up and do only a couple at a time.

I used to temper everything for an hour, but have also noticed no difference in plane irons doing that vs. tempering for a shorter period of time and checking with a non-contact thermometer.

I haven't seen a variation greater than 15 degrees with my magic spot in the oven (e.g., if I set convection at 375, any iron on the top rack will always be between 400 and 415 degrees F) with the non-contact thermometer, but success in my oven definitely does not mean that someone else will experience the same.

Probably a well-invested half hour for someone wishing to do this stuff to turn their oven on, then put one of the $8 oven thermometers in the oven where they want to temper and observe both the temperature of that thermometer as well as how much the thermometer fluctuates over a half hour (then watch longer if something alarming occurs).

When I temper, every single time, I use a non-contact thermometer mid-process and then again when turning the oven off. If a thermostat goes bad on an oven, it's not like an alarm will go off (that I'm aware of).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081