Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Surface quality from the plane question

Warren in Lancaster, PA
Back in the 1980s I took a cherry table to a craft show where I was demonstrating the pole lathe. A woman came around and looked over the table; her husband was a very fine cabinetmaker. She said "that's a beautiful piece of cherry." This table top had nice color, but very little figure, just a few dimples. So I wondered if she really thought this plain piece of cherry was beautiful, or if that is just what she said when she had nothing else to say. I was still thinking about the remark the next day.

A few years later I had this same table on display (easy to carry) and here is this woman again saying the cherry was beautiful. Then I realized what it was. She had probably never seen a no sand piece of furniture before.

The planed surface has a depth, clarity, and a liveliness that sanding deadens. It takes some skill. I would not recommend finish planing with an iron that has planed 3000 feet. It is a lot easier to sharpen the iron than to go through the sanding, sanding sealer rigamarole.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081