Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: question
Response To:
question ()

david weaver
I don't remember it showing much at a couple of hundred feet. One of the reasons I was misled on the "it's going 4000 feet!" thread is that this one isn't honed on diamond and neither was the first mule (that did the 4k feet), so I think the wear bevel wasn't quite as visible.

It's just starting to show wear under the microscope, but I sent that to wiley with some wear on because with probably 200-300 feet of wear on it, off of the washita, the iron seems to actually get better for a period as the initial edge comes off. It makes an astoundingly bright surface given that the washita is fine, but it doesn't give me a particularly bright surface with carbon steel.

I wish Larry was still around to come up with all kinds of talk about burnishing to explain it!!

What I did not expect to find with all of this stuff is what I did find - that the XHP and V11 irons feel sharper with the same abrasive that I would use on carbon steel, and then a step further, easing their hardness a little bit doesn't seem to do too much to their durability, but they become sweethearts to sharpen.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081