Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Surface quality from the plane question

david weaver
I think most people would see the liveliness that I like as "blotch". Not sure how else to explain it. When you plane, the agreeable grain is dense, and the grain that runs out into the surface a little bit will soak in more finish.

without planing two pieces and placing them side by side, I couldn't tell you whether or not you'd ever see the difference through shellac.

I know I mentioned it on here before, but a planed or scraped and burnished surface will absorb less shellac and takes less time for me to move on from. If I am building finish on a guitar, like on the spruce telecaster I showed on here, I don't level finishes or sand out standing grain until there is enough such that I won't reach into the wood itself with abrasive. Actually, I think I did that guitar with varnish only, can't recall, but cherry telecaster types (I've made two)..

..ok diversion there, one of them was hand scraped on purpose

Never mind!!

I also think that if you're not chasing a certain look, then why change the method to try to achieve it? If sanding gives you what you want, then why do anything other than sand? There's a learning curve with everything. do you want to go through it? That curve pops up going forward on things like cabinet frames and door frames - you will mark a door panel or something at some point if you're learning to plane.

The value equation is simple for me. I like planed surfaces. Sometimes they probably don't look any different. I like planing. I don't like sanding. I'd rather plane and correct any issues with light scraper and burnishing than notice sanding swirls on a spot after finishing is complete.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081