Hand Tools

Subject:
What's allowed on forums?

david weaver
It's an unfortunate rabbit hole search that everything devolves into. I'd spare everyone (or at least half of it) if there was a lot of other content on this forum, but the interesting thing is that when there isn't minutiae on this forum, it seems to crap out entirely. I think that's a shame. I enjoy looking at other peoples' work, but expect that mine (which is almost entirely making tools and guitars) won't interest many people.

If someone was making danish modern furniture and trying to do it with hand tools, I'll admit, I'd fall off of my chair backwards snoring. I respect the talent (derek had a nice series on trying to make a machine made chair by hand, and it was expertly done) and dedication that it takes to do those things, but when you're not thinking you'd want to do the same thing, then the same as what happens with our discussion of minutiae (it only appeals to a few people).

We all live in a world full of tags now, and if more than 5 people were interested in the discussion of plane iron steels beyond "how many feet planed", I'd be surprised. Most people who don't contribute anything will get upset when they see a bunch of posts and then get upset that they're not interesting to them, but in some cases, people having a bad day are just looking for something to have a problem with in the first place. I can't stop that.

Tags would be nice. I'd have slapped the "minutiae tag" on all of this that wasn't just "how many feet did each iron go". And even that elicited a negative response from a couple of people who don't like LV for no real legitimate reason.

Often, the rabbit holes are searched in the background, but this one's being searched almost in a streaming to text mode. It's overload unless you're one of the five interested.

On the bright side, the answer that I thought would be potentially inconsistent to figure out or with ambiguous results was crystal clear, and some interesting applicable side things came about (V11 planes for a long time. It's probably worth sharpening to a finer edge if it doesn't take too much extra time, and the big shocker to me was a drastic difference in planing resistance from one iron to the next. Some feel slick, others not at all). That'll be written up in a much clearer manner.

Some day, I'll get kicked off for following too many branches on the tree all the way to the end, but the disgruntled will just disappear then, because they're not here to contribute, anyway.

(none of that is in direct relation to your post - I get exactly where you're coming from - what's the alcohol at the end of the distillation process and where can I get the bottle without having to know how it was made or diverging into soldering methods?)

Messages In This Thread

Heat balance at plane blade tip
Re: Heat balance at plane blade tip
K&K SEM pictures
Re: K&K SEM pictures—here they are *LINK*
Re: K&K SEM pictures—here they are
Re: K&K SEM pictures
Re: K&K SEM pictures *LINK*
Re: K&K SEM pictures
The data shown above
Re: The data shown above
Re: Agree on three points
Question about setting blade exposure
Re: Question about setting blade exposure
Is planing the way to level this surface
Toothing planes
Gosh...
Re: Gosh...
Re: Gosh...
Re: Is planing the way to level this surface
Re: Question about setting blade exposure *PIC*
summary?
Re: summary?
A small experiment
Re: A small experiment
question
Re: question
clever setting procedure; blurring? *PIC*
Re: clever setting procedure; blurring?
Holly inlay properties
Divergence from the classic
Re: totes etc.
Re: Handle shaping method and tools... *LINK*
I used to get fired up...
The whole translation/review—for the obsessed *LINK*
Re: The whole translation/review—for the obsesse
Where is this going?
The purpose of the original test...
Re: The purpose of the original test...
What's allowed on forums?
you underestimate the interest
Re: you underestimate the interest
bored to tears ?
Re: bored to tears ?
There is one thing remaining..
My suspicion...
Re: My suspicion...
Re: My suspicion...
Another table from SB
Yes - the confusion without XHP
Odd thing about CTS-XHP wear resistance
All metal wear not equal
Re: This isn't Instagram
Re: This isn't Instagram
Re: not quite, but find what you like...
David - keep at it
Re: David - keep at it
Re: David - keep at it
I don't understand social media
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081