Hand Tools

Subject:
The purpose of the original test...
Response To:
Where is this going? ()

david weaver
..was just to see if we could prove or disprove lee valley's comments about blade life, and update some of the older information about blade life along with it, since we'd have context with well known blades.

That turned out to be pretty easy to prove. In good wood (not to say that in less than good wood, it's not true - we didn't test that), LV's steel does actually last about twice as long as what's typically available (good O1 and good A2) and in wide use.

Bill is fascinated more with the details of why that is, I just wanted to know what is, and some of the follow up-stuff (this heat discussion will never appear in any paper) is just forum fodder. The kind of stuff that someone else may publish in detail (as in a metallurgist, or someone enthusiastic about such thing), but I know far too little about it and won't even post suppositions about planing, which I know more about than the average individual. It went to unexpected places for me - again, unrelated to anything that will be published - in that I'm replacing all of my metal plane irons with XHP. I could speak to doing that for anyone interested, but I would bet that number is zero - I'm more than willing to walk through what i did to make a plane iron if anyone thinks they will, but I think it's easy for people to say "I'd try to make one if you show your process", and then most would say "I changed my mind". We did learn because of that that it's likely that someone who considers v11 to be too hard to sharpen with natural stones will find it quite good if they put it in an accurate oven at 400-415 degrees. LV may not like it if you do that, but you might.

Long story short, all of the details about duration and sharpenability are done, they will be posted in a paper with pictures online. Supposing things that can't be proved (like beyond number of feet and weight of shavings), that's not going to be published. The result is a surprise, but understanding the variables involved is minutiae that won't change them and it won't be published. Going beyond just those simple results and pictures is something that a typical reader just won't be able to do anything with (heat at tip, etc), but knowing that you're getting your money's worth with a V11 iron for an extra ten bucks - people will be able to grasp that.

Experimenting with XHP will be left out, too. It disappears quickly here and is no threat to someone chasing down supply and making substandard irons and trading on LV's work, but in a paper that google can search neatly due to lots of clicks, it becomes a threat.

Actually, google brought me the information that I wanted in the form of XRF from an old SMC post by patrick chase, but I doubt most people would run into that, either.

You may also find the chinese irons pretty interesting given their (price $7 to $11) and the fact that they really only come up short against V11 and M4.

Messages In This Thread

Heat balance at plane blade tip
Re: Heat balance at plane blade tip
K&K SEM pictures
Re: K&K SEM pictures—here they are *LINK*
Re: K&K SEM pictures—here they are
Re: K&K SEM pictures
Re: K&K SEM pictures *LINK*
Re: K&K SEM pictures
The data shown above
Re: The data shown above
Re: Agree on three points
Question about setting blade exposure
Re: Question about setting blade exposure
Is planing the way to level this surface
Toothing planes
Gosh...
Re: Gosh...
Re: Gosh...
Re: Is planing the way to level this surface
Re: Question about setting blade exposure *PIC*
summary?
Re: summary?
A small experiment
Re: A small experiment
question
Re: question
clever setting procedure; blurring? *PIC*
Re: clever setting procedure; blurring?
Holly inlay properties
Divergence from the classic
Re: totes etc.
Re: Handle shaping method and tools... *LINK*
I used to get fired up...
The whole translation/review—for the obsessed *LINK*
Re: The whole translation/review—for the obsesse
Where is this going?
The purpose of the original test...
Re: The purpose of the original test...
What's allowed on forums?
you underestimate the interest
Re: you underestimate the interest
bored to tears ?
Re: bored to tears ?
There is one thing remaining..
My suspicion...
Re: My suspicion...
Re: My suspicion...
Another table from SB
Yes - the confusion without XHP
Odd thing about CTS-XHP wear resistance
All metal wear not equal
Re: This isn't Instagram
Re: This isn't Instagram
Re: not quite, but find what you like...
David - keep at it
Re: David - keep at it
Re: David - keep at it
I don't understand social media
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081